Monday, June 9, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...for an Ag Teacher

It is June in Illinois.  If you are anyone in or affected by the Agriculture Education family you know that means two things...State FFA Convention and IAVAT conference.  Each year at this time I am met with mixed emotions.  I've experienced it all from pride in watching my students complete another successful year to relief that I have graduated another batch of trying students to dismay that my year is over, done, and I can't imagine where the time went.  But one feeling that I always seem to encounter during the next two weeks is hope.  
I never, I mean NEVER go to the pool with my students during a FFA event, but tonight I find myself sitting poolside making sure that the crazies that I brought to convention aren't running wild at the hotel pool.  As I sit here I am suddenly aware of the hope that I have for the coming year.  I am a good two-ish months from starting the new school year and all I can think about is that the gaggle of kids splashing in the pool are some of my most promising students, which in turn, makes me look forward to the upcoming year with my ag teaching heart aglow with all sorts of "I think this year could be the best..." thoughts.  It reminds me of the feeling that I used to get watching calves and foals taking their first steps...this one could be the grand champion...this one could be the fastest...  I'm sure it is the feeling that farmers have felt for centuries.  When they have placed the seed in the ground hoping that this would be the year that all of the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place; the weather will be gracious, the weeds and bugs be few, and the kernels be many.  
It never fails that each year I think these exact thoughts at some point and watch obstacles run interference with my hopes, dreams, and plans for my program...and it frustrates me beyond belief.  An officer that doesn't step up and do their job.  A student narrowly missing success.  A not-so-pleasant encounter with a community member.  But just like that farmer that tucks their seeds in and prays for the best, I am here, watching my students enjoy their evening and hoping for an amazing year full of promise, success, fun, and whatever the craziness of the year brings.  After all...that's what we are all in it for, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment